Release the hex nut, then put the speaker wire into the hole. Then tighten the hex nut to create the connection. Do not put an uninsulated wire in the hole (you won’t be able to make an electrical connection).
For banana plugs (US only) Remove the nuts on the binding posts completely, exposing the plugs for binding posts (plastic plugs that are inserted into posts used to make binding). Remove the plugs with care from the posts of the binding to expose the holes for banana plugs. Then, screw the nuts back on the posts for binding and then insert those banana plugs. (This is intended for US owners only.)
The basic speaker connector.
Check that the black (-) and red (+) and black (-) connectors on your receiver or ampLifier are connected to red ((+)) as well as black (–) connections on the speakers. When your speaker’s sound is “thin”, with little bass and no or little center image One of the speakers’ wires could be hooked up reversely. Verify all connections.
You can get the most authentic stereo image by positioning the speakers as close as they are from where the listeners sit. If the room is too small to put the speakers farther than they are, you may choose to move the speakers towards the center to create a more powerful picture in the center.
The R-series speaker can be used as surround-back speakers in the Polk Audio home theater system. The best place for surround speakers in the rear is on the wall to the side just a bit below and behind the listening area.
Alternative rear surround speakers position for R-series speakers.
If you are unable to fit the rear frames onto the sides, put them on the wall, above the listening position.
Mounting on the wall of R15 as well as the R20 bookshelf speakers
The bookshelf speakers of the R-series have an integrated keyhole slot that allows to allow for wall mounting. When mounting them to your wall, suggest using wire that is bare or fork connections to ensure that the speaker is flush mounted.
Follow these steps to secure these speakers on the wall. Wall mounting requires basic tools knowledge, such as an electric drill and screwdriver. If you’re not sure whether you have the skills or tools, talk to you Polk Audio dealer or professional installer.
- Check that the surface you intend to put the speaker on (plaster, gypsum boards, stone, paneling, etc.) will be able to hold their weight. (R15 equals approximately.
- Check that the areas you select don’t block plumbing or electrical wiring.
- Before installation, place the loudspeaker at the desired position to ensure that it removes any obstacles, such as the ceiling, walls adjacent to it and corners, joists lighting fixtures, and door/window frames.
- Each speaker is equipped with an opening for mounting a keyhole in the back panel. The slot is located approximately 1w” below to the upper part of the cabinet, about 4” away from the left-hand corner of the R20 and 34 inches from the left edge of the R15. Make use of these measurements to identify the location of your speaker, and make sure you leave a minimum of 1 or 2 inches of clearance above the speaker in order to compensate for the keyhole slot’s functions.
- If you’re sure that there is a stud beneath the wall’s surface then drive #10 sheet metal screws (not included) through the wall, and then to the inside of the stud.
- If there’s no stud in the wall at the selected area, you can place the #10 anchors (not included) into the wall according to the directions of the manufacturer of wall anchors.
- Secure the screws to the wall anchors or studs leaving the screw heads to extend by “-2” to make room for the wire to be attached, and also to ensure that the screw will fit inside the keyhole. The speaker should be placed at a level against the wall.
- Adjust the keyhole slot to ensure you can see that your screw goes through the central hole of the slot.
- Slide the speaker down and allow it to slip in behind an end that is smaller than the slot in the keyhole.
- The speaker should be gently pushed to ensure it is secured.
- If the screws head aren’t holding the speaker to the wall, then remove your speaker’s wall then tighten the screws just slightly more, then mount the speaker.
Use a screw number. #10 for wall studs, make use of wall anchors as well as #1 screw. Deg 10 if you are not using the wall stud.
Slide the speaker downwards onto the screw heads so that it can connect with the slots for keyholes.
Clean your closets using fabric adsamp. Avoid strong cleaning fluids. Vacuum the vents regularly to get rid of dust.
Get free guidance about how to create your dream audio system or get free advice on how you can tune your existing system to improve its performance, by visiting www.polkaudio.com.